Re: CD players not working although sound otherwise fine

Try chmod 770 /dev/hdc
Other than that, try running it as root. One thing you may find useful
as a side note is the digital CD plugin for XMMS.

apt-get install xmms-cdread

It enables reading of CD's so the digital-analog conversion is done on
the sound card instead of in the CD drive, and transmitted through that
EM hellhole that is the inside of a PC.

Regards
Edward