Re: E1000 nic fails; used to work

Kent West wrote:

I've got a fairly new Dell GX260 with an integrated gigabit nic. I started out with 2.2.20 (stable), but that didn't recognize the nic, so I used Knoppix to download a newer kernel (2.4.18, and all the attendent dependencies), and after adding "e1000" to /etc/modules, the network started working for me! Yea! I then promptly upgraded to unstable.

That worked for several weeks, until my office mate returned to work, and booted into Windows (dual-boot, obviously). Now when I boot into Debian, dhcp doesn't find any address, and when I manually run "/etc/init.d/networking start" I get errors like "recieve_packet failed on eth0" and "network is down". The network works fine from Windows, as this email is proof.

I tried another kernel upgrade, this time to 2.4.18-4-686,

I meant "2.4.21-4-686".

but the network responds the same. I figured I'd try a static address, to see what that results in. Here's my interfaces file, and the results.

westk[@garciajo]:/home/westk> cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

#iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
       address 150.252.161.230
       netmask 255.255.248.0

westk[@garciajo]:/etc/network> sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Configuring network interfaces... done.
e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 10 Mbps Half Duplex

Mon Aug 25   16:52:39
---------
westk[@garciajo]:/etc/network> ping 150.252.128.193
PING 150.252.128.193 (150.252.128.193): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote 150.252.128.193 64 chars, ret=-1
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote 150.252.128.193 64 chars, ret=-1

Any clues would be appreciated.

Some further testing revealed that I can ping the gateway, so I added that to my /etc/network/interfaces file, and now I can ping by address.

Then I tinked with /etc/resolv.conf, and now I can ping by name.

I still can't get a dhcp address though. When I looked in dselect at dhcp-client and at pump, both are not installed. Yet the errors mentioned above are prefaced with DHCP_DISCOVER or something similar, which would indicate to me that I have some dhcp client installed (and I used to have one, as it used to work).

Has one of my upgrades deleted my dhcp client? If so, which client should I install: dhcp-client or pump or something else?

Thanks!

--
Kent