Re: Unidentified subject!

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 21:38, Stephane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile a 2.4.22 kernel on a Debian Woody.
> I use the Debian method. Even if I already compiled many
> kernels in the past, I'm a newbie (I know how to do it
> but I'm lost as soon as it doesn't work).
>
> I can't compile the kernel because I get this error:
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /usr/src/linux/debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.4.22cheska1.0/kernel/drivers/i2c/scx200_i2c.o
> depmod:         scx200_gpio_base_R254e5667
> depmod:         scx200_gpio_configure_R80c65a79
> depmod:         scx200_gpio_shadow_R9272bc53
> make[2]: *** [_modinst_post] Erreur 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22'
> make[1]: *** [real_stamp_image] Erreur 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22'
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) what does mean Unresolved Symbols (If you have the time to answer, please
> remember I'm rather newbie: I can't code in C)

An unresolved symbol results when you try to link compiled units (object
files) into an executable module (or larger object file or library) and
some of the symbols (e.g., variable names) are not found in any of the
related object files.  This often results when two units use different
versions of the header files (*.h) that define such symbols, as may
happen when compiled at different times and the headers have changed.

> 2) what to do to compile it or at least where to search ? I tried google but only
> found a few messages about this and there was no answer at all :-(

First, you can decide whether you really need/want that i2c function and
choose whether or not to be bothered looking into it further.  ;-)  If
so, then make sure all your modules are up to-date by rebuilding the
whole kernel from scratch:

make clean && make mrproper && make dep && make bzLinux ...

If the problem still occurs, then you'll need to start hunting down the
missing symbols related to the scx200_gpio device interface.  Chances
are that there is some compile-time preprocessor flag that needs to be
set appropriately or a module upon which these objects depends is
missing.  I'd check to make sure that all modules related to the scx200
device are included in the build -- check the .config file.

Without a some C programming experience, it may be tough going to find
the root cause, so you may want to consider again, after futzing a bit
more with the configuration options, whether you really need/want that
i2c support.

...mjb