Re: FW: OT: Why is C so popular?

Alphonse Ogulla declaimed:
> On Thursday 28 August 2003 11:16, you wrote:
> > There is no such language which performs in all situations well. C is
> > fast, but you have to code really careful and double-check your source.
> > Erlang was designed for telephony tasks (message passing, ...). Prolog
> > is superior in expert systems. Perl is real good for quick string hacks.
> > Python scales better than Perl for larger projects and is good for rapid
> > prototyping. C++ scales well in large-scale software designs which needs
> > to be fast...
> C, Erlang, Prolog, Perl, Python and C++ are all refered to in the above
> paragraph. Java is conspicuouly not mentioned. I construe that to mean Java
> is so much lacking in useful qualities to serve any practical purpose.

I love religious arguments. Java certainly has flaws: open source
licensing issues, flawed I/O implementation, an obscenely large set of
base classes. Nonetheless, Java taught me a lot about OOP by forcing me
to use references instead of pointers, which certainly served a
practical purpose from my POV.

Cheers, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney