Re: more OT: search-and-replace commands (was Re: OT: Why is C so popular?)

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 02:08, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 18:15, Yves Goergen wrote:
[snip]
> As much as I hate to admit that MS can do some things right, their 'ren'
> command (rename, instead of doing a mv from name to name like we do) is
> actually quite intelligent. Not quite to the point of regexps, but you
> can do things like ren *.txt *.doc or whatnot and it will actually work.

That's because their FSs have the concept of file-name and file
extension, a.k.a. "type".  Thus, it's trivial to take a set of
files and only change the extension.

And, no, MS *still* can't do anything right, since the filename/
filetype split is at least as old as the '70s.  CP/M had it, as
well as various DEC OSs (which were the inspiration for CP/M).

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.
Guess which is more effective...