nis installation question

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding NIS+ client installation.

I am doing it for the first time and I think I followed all procedures
from the NIS-HOWTO correctly.

I am running unstable.

The problem is that it worked, but after reboot it does not :-)

ypcat passwd outputs correct result but users can not login.
I did not change any configuration files so it must be that I have
executed some command by hands to make everythink work during the
initial install but this command did not execute on boot.

Maybe I should add some things to a config file.

During install I have copied /etc/nsswitch.conf and
/etc/yp.conf from a RedHat client system on which everything works.

Was it a bad idea?
by the way, /etc/passwd on that RedHat does not ahve +::: enteries at
the end. while Debian doc says that one must add such things at
the end.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Lazar