Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 01:13, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> bob parker wrote:
>
> > C is easier to learn than shell scripting, the elements at least, much
> > less
> >
> >Perl. I personally find it quicker to code a dirty fix in C than anything
> >else and would not really consider shell programming for anything other than
> >glue for a sequence of other commands.
> >
> >Just my 2 bits.
> >

> Another great example on why the variety is a good thing. I agree on the
> C vs shell. The only way I write shell scripts is by example. I don't
> understand it well enough to write a script from a blank page. On the
> otherhand, I _so_ find myself wishing I could use regexp's this way in
> C/C++:

You know, I think I've written 2 shell scripts in my life. And I think
the most complex of the two was 6 lines long and used a for loop. On the
other hand, I generally write 2 Perl scripts daily that could quite
possibly be done as shell scripts. But I'm so addicted to the string
handling functions that I can't help it. I've actually found myself
cursing C++ and Java when I catch myself starting to type
myStringVariable =~ s/ /_/; or some such only to realize that it won't
work. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837