Re: VIA CPU's

 --- Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> escribió:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, [iso-8859-1] Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> > > On the other hand, my 1GHz Athlon plays FPS games well, but sounds
> > > like a Boeing 737 is parked 2.5m from my head.

> > Hey, consider yourself lucky.  I have an AMD 2500 XP+ (1.83 GHz) that
> > sounds like a 747 @ 1m :-)
>
> the cpu doesn't make any noise :-)  ( sorry couldn't resist )
>  	and if it did, you have more serious problems than just noise

I know it doesn't actually make noise, but I couldn't resist one-upping Ron :-)

> to get rid of the noise ..
> 	- upgrade the fans to a good ball bearing fans

They are ball bearing fans and they're new.

> 	- clean your fan blade of dust
No dust, brand new (2 month old) fan.

> 	- sharpen the leading edge of the fan blades
Hadn't heard that one.  I'll probably give it a shot.

> 	- do NOT block air flow with cables interferring with
> 	the direction of airflow

No blockages.  I am well aware of what that can do.

> 	- if you dont know which way the air is flowing, light
> 	a lighter inside and see where the flame is pointing
> 	or to be safer, use incence or cigarettes

Yup.  Air flows in the front and out the back, the fans are all pointing the
correct direction.

> 	- if you do close up all the little noisy holes
> 	and seems, make sure you have a big/giant hole someplace
> 	( like leave a cdrom drive bay open or side cover off )

Actually, I have heard that this is not advisable (at least leaving a side
cover off).  I was told by a friend who keeps pretty well up to speed on
hardware that leaving a side cover off actually degrades the fan's ability
to move air across the CPU/heatsink.  Something about a sort of small scale
wind tunnel effect.

> - air moving thru small holes and seams is what makes the noise
> 	- make giant holes ( the size of the fan ) and close
> 	all seams and all holes smaller than the fan size w/ tape

If I could cut big holes where the fans are I would.  But, man that would look
ugly.

> - air flow should only flow in one direction and NOT interfere
>   or run perpendicular to any objects ( including heatsinks )
>
> - tons of stuff  to help quiet down the machine w/o going into
>   noise cancellation ckts  and (noisy) air ducts

Yup.  But is still louder than my Pentium Pro 200.

> c ya
> alvin

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS