Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

Hi!

On Wed Aug 27, 2003 at 07:12:35PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> and others. In the last few years, I switched over to C++. I have never
> taken so long to write programs in my entire life as when I was coding
> in C++. I spent far more time in design, and far more time debugging
> than I ever had in C. So I went back to C. Now my C code looks like
> a C++ programmer wrote it. But it's quicker to write.
>
> Plus, I don't and never have liked the iostreams. They're clunky
> compared to printf() for most things. And exceptions are a pain in the
> butt, and no one seems to have a definitive answer on when to and when
> not to use them.
>
> Classes I love and inheritance I liked. But the public/private/protected
> distinction in inherited classes is a pain to design and maintain. Plus
> vtables and virtual classes and functions. And friend classes/functions.
> C++ was supposed to allow a lot of code reuse. I haven't seen it, and I
> don't think any language will ever practically deliver it.

Go and read "Design Patterns: Elements Of Reusable Object-Oriented
Software"[1]. It's THE book for developers who think like you. He, I was
in your group, but after reading this book I was enlightened ;-)

So long
Thomas

  1. http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?DesignPatternsBook

--
 .''`.  Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around. - W. R. Stevens
: :'  : Thomas Krennwallner <djmaecki at ull dot at>