Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 15:59, Deryk Barker wrote:
> Thus spake Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org):
>
> > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:21:05 -0700
> > Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
> > > It's relatively easy to learn, plus everybody else in the unix world
> > > uses C.  It's portable.  It helps to know your history:  C was created
> > > to write unix to begin with.
> >
> >     *cough, spit*  I was able to grasp Turbo Pascal far before C.  I had no
> > problems with Perl.  Hell, I learned Python in a week.  C..  C I still poke at
> > with a 2' stick in the eye and hope it goes away and I've taken several
> > classes in C and have tried to work with it several times over the years.
>
> Nor does it help that the best-selling C book ever is, ahem,
> less-than-superbly-written.
>
> Incidentally Paul, C was derived from B (derived from BCPL) in order
> to *re*write Unix, which was originally written in assembler.

Another goal of C was to make it look like PDP-11 assembly.

Which is why C is sometimes called a 2.5GL language, to distinguish
it from 3GLs like, oh, every other procedural language except Assembly
(which is 2GL, after all).

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Man, I'm pretty. Hoo Hah!"