Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 7:45 pm, Deryk Barker wrote:
> Thus spake Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net):

> > > And very very slow too, like any other script language.
> >
> > One thing I learned a *long* time ago is that even an 80286 is faster
> > than people typing, reading the screen, moving the mouse, getting a
> > cup of coffee, etc.
>
> Yes, I'd be interested in knowing why python should be considered
> "very very slow". I've been using it extensively for several years and
> have had no performance issues.

Well, I like speed cause I make some computer intensive work.
One of the first examples I saw of python was a simple program that find the
prime numbers under X limit. I compared the time with a similar code in C and
the difference is big.

I'm not criticizing python, I mean all scripting is slow compared to compiled
programs execution. I'm sure python have a bright future.

> > > I like python, there are several techniques to accelerate python (like
> > > weave and psyco) but for a good speed C is the best.
> >
> > Don't forget NumPy.
>
> Or SWIG. C may be best for "good speed" wrt execution, but in terms of
> development time.....

One thing I don't understand is why if python code can be so accelerated with
psyco and you have to do nothing for it to work they have not included psyco
as a default option in python. That would bust python a lot.
Someone may enlight me about it?

Alfredo