Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 10:06, Mike Mueller wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 07:27, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > I do have to ask this one:  It's possible to write
> > non-braindamaged code in C++ without learning C first?
>
> Yes.  But I think it's more fun to learn OO using Python than it is using C++.
[snip]
> Solution? Learn C because it's the lingua franca and it works well. The OO
> learning curve with Python is manageable, so learn Python to build OO
> solutions.  Java is probably a great OO choice too - I haven't cracked that
> nut yet.  The Sun control of Java seems a little...closed...to me.
>
> C++ works perfectly for me precisely because it is a mixes C and C++ so
> easily.  I work on a bit-oriented protocol (C part) that I manage with some
> OO techniques (C++ part).  I think my code will earn a place of honor in the
> "brain-damaged" C++ hall of fame.

How about Python with C modules for the stuff that C does better/
faster than Python?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start with,
and becoming increasingly difficult to be productive as time
went on, and if something went wrong very difficult to fix,
compared to linux's large over head setting up and learning the
system with ease of use and the increase in productivity
becoming larger the longer I use the system."
Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands