Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:00:24 +0200, Loren M Lang wrote:

> 2) C is just faster than C++

This is simply not true. If you know what you're doing, you can write
efficient C++ which is just as fast as C. C++ was designed in a way that
doesn't make you pay for features you don't use.

> Even when I'm writing in C++ I will use fopen() and fprint() for file
> I/O then the C++ equilelants because they are noticably faster.

iostreams don't have to be slower by design; unfortunately they often are
implemented on top of the C library, which forces them to be slower.
(Somehow I find C streams more convenient than C++ streams, but that's a
matter of personal preference.)

> If people don't learn C before C++, it A) a little harder to learn
> properly

This is common prejudice. However, "idiomatic" C++ is vastly different
from C. If your only goal is grasping C++, then learning C is a waste of
time.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!