Re: NT Installation - Seperate Drive Question

Corey Ralph wrote:

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 02:54  PM, amg wrote:

Can I essentially:
-"detach" my debian-installed drives
-attach a "blank" drive (it would be the last IDE slot)
-install XP onto that disk (letting XP muck around with the MBR (on it's
own drive))
-re-attach the debian drives (leaving the XP drive attached, at the end
of the drive order)

That should all be fine, as long as XP doesn't get upset about the changed order of the disks.

I had a machine that had the drive as master on the second IDE port (why Gateway did that is beyond me) that was set up to dual-boot with WinXP on the first partition and Debian on later parts. The next year I cloned it to a new machine using Altiris (used to be Lab Expert, similar to Ghost, does the same thing) that had its drive as master on the first IDE port (like normal). Debian complained quite a bit until I fixed the references in /etc/fstab (understandable); XP up and died and had to be rebuilt.

Having said that, I had a co-worker who did something similar, and IIRC, his went okay; his WinXP picked up the change and went on just fine.

I have no explanation for the difference between the two experiences, unless his image was newer Service Packs, etc, or that my memory is just faulty.

So, take this as an anecdotal story; don't put too much trust in what I've said.

--
Kent

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)