Xserver back up; some files missing ...

Just a short note to thank all who helped.
I copied an existing 'dir' file to /usr/share/info/ and deleted the menu
entries following which I ran 'apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade --fix-broken'
... and it worked (!), except for a few error messages including

ERROR: Could not find slib/require.scm in ("/usr/share/guile/site"
"/usr/share/guile/1.6" "/usr/share/guile" ".")
Dpkg: error processing guile-1.6-slib (--configure)

/var/run/xdm.pid not found

findacm - no such file or directory

Error: The file "/usr/share/gnome-terminal/glade/gnome-terminal.glade2"
is missing. This indicates that the application is installed
incorrectly, so the dialog can't be displayed.

The last pops up whenever I try to edit "Current Profile" in Gnome
Terminal.
At the moment it shows up with invisible lettering when transparent,
although xterminal works.

I'll keep playing with it in the next few days, after a good night's
sleep.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz