Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs (Solved)

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 14:56, Joris Huizer wrote:
> --- Alphonse Ogulla <ogulla@uonbi.ac.ke> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Just compiled kernel 2.4.21 but cannot boot it
> > despite creating the initrd
> > image and respective links in / to files in /boot.
> > The last 5 lines printed on screen before hang-up
> > are printed below.
> >
> > RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting
> > at 0.
> > Freeing initrd memory: 2664k freed
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01
> >
> > Passing root=/dev/hda1 to lilo at boot time did not
> > bear fruit.
> > Created initrd as follows:
> > # mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.4.21
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21
> >
> > Added the following lines in lilo.conf before
> > running lilo.
> > image=/vmlinuz-2.4.21 initrd=/initrd.img-2.4.21
> > 	label=2.4.21
> > 	root=/dev/hda1
> > 	read-only
> >
> > Grateful for any assistance in resolving this
> > difficulty.
> >
> > --
> > Alphonse Ogulla
> > Nairobi, Kenya
>
> Check that:
>
>  - under "File systems", "Second extended fs support"
> has "y"
>  - under "Block devices", "Normal PC floppy disk
> support" has "y"
>  - under "ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support", "IDE, ATA and
> ATAPI Block devices" has "y"
>    - under submenu "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block Devices",
>    "Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy
> support" and "Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support" have "y"
> clicked.
>
> This helped me to solve similar problems - I hope
> it'll help you too

Yes it did.
Coming to think of it, make exited with an error during the final step of
kernel compilation - "make modules_install" because of dependancy issues with
some *pmcia* and *mtd* modules. Therefore the resulting initrd.img created
from /lib/modules/2.4.21 directory must have been lacking in some aspect.

Building disk & filesystem drivers directly into the kernel as per above
instructions and forgetting about initrd.img did the trick.

atlas:~# uname -a
Linux atlas 2.4.21 #3 Tue Aug 26 20:01:03 EAT 2003 i686 unknown

Thanks and regards

--
Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya