start program in ssh command line?

hi folks,

tweaking the relationship between my work and home computers...  I
keep my mail on my work computer, and would like to be able to make an
alias on the HOME computer that will log me in to work and start mutt
without my having to type the additional command.

my initial thought was this:

ssh -l matt work.host.name mutt

but this seems to send mutt off into the ether.  I guess there's no
tty associated with the ssh process or something...

anyway, is there a way to get the new process spawned by ssh to run in
a login shell to which I have access?  I can think of lots of ways in which such a feature would be useful...

Thanks,
matt