Power off

My computer doesn't switch off upon 'shutdown -h now', so I looked around
on the net and found:

To switch the power off on shutdown in Linux:
- Compile apm into the kernel
- Add the following line in /etc/lilo.conf: append="apm=on apm=power-off"
- Enter 'lilo' on the command prompt

Did that (kernel 2.4.21). Result: boot procedure hangs, the last printed
line says:

  apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16)

I checked only 'apm' in the kernel config menu, none of the subsequent
items. I didn't install the apm package of the Debian distribution,
because I wouldn't like an additional deamon just for powering off my
desktop, if it is not really necessary.

Any comment?
Frank Hrebabetzky	Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis			  +55 / 48 / 9998 7686
Brazil			email:	  frankh@terra.com.br