Installing Debian on Dell 8300

 Hi everybody,

 I am going to install Woody 3.0R1 (kernel version 2.4.18) on a brand new
dell 8300. When trying
to install the same on a dell 2350 a few months ago, I had several
problems mostly because it was my first time experimenting with linux and
I was not familiar with this user list. So this time I want to get it
right with fewer snags and morever I want to tailor the kernel to my
hardware.

 Here are the specs of my machine:

 Video:   nVidia GeForce FX 5200
 DVD/CD:  NEC DVD+RW and LITEON DVD-ROM
 Network: Intel Pro/100 VE and Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit
 Audio:   Creative SB Live!
 USB:     Intel 82801 controllers

 The system has a wireless keyboard and mouse and the reciever connects
via USB, so I do need the USB connections.

 I have several questions:

 1. Has anyone actually installed debian on this machine and what has
their experience been?

 2. Given what I'm trying to do, can anybody foresee problems that I may
face, eg. display setup, driver support issues, etc?

 3. I know that I will not be able to do a network install because the
Intel pro/100 card is only supported in kernel version 2.4.21 and later.
The version of woody I have burned on CD's has kernel version 2.4.18. So I
think after installing, I am going to have to burn the newer kernel on a
CD to upgrade the just installed kernel. Is there a better way to do this?

 Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.

 ... salman