Re: how to adapt this iptables setup?

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 20:08, Kevin McKinley wrote:
>  On 25 Aug 2003 15:15:27 -0400
> Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > Ok.  There is no /etc/rc.d in my Debian system.  /etc/rcX.d has some
> > meaning beyond just being another place to gather files - it corresponds
> > to runlevel X, and gets swept automatically as the system passes through
> > that runlevel.  What is the meaning and equivalent of /etc/rc.d?  The
> > other directories referenced appear to exist.
>
> On RedHat/Mandrake systems, the runlevel directories are subdirectories of
> rc.d:
>                 - init.d
>                 - rc.local
>                 - rc0.d
> /etc -- rc.d -- - rc1.d
>                 - rc2.d
>                 etc.
>
> So where in RedHat you would start the firewall in, say
> /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S90fwsoho, in Debian it would be in /etc/rc2.d/S90fwsoho.

The problem I'm having is some things (iptables_pre & iptables.rh73) he
has me copy into /etc/init.d and then symlink from /etc/rcX.d, and other
things he has me copy into /etc/rc.d (rc.fwsoho, which is called from
iptables.rh73) and I'm trying to figure out the implications of that.

What else typically lives in /etc/rc.d?  What sort of files are kept
there in Red Hat?

Cheers,
Bret

--