nfs use-once-only?

I was so thrilled to get nfs working (laptop to workstation) for the first
time yesterday.  But today I get
   mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
every time.  So I tried in the other direction.  Set up /etc/export and
/etc/hosts.allow and - easy - it connects.  But only once.  Unmount the
share, and all subsequent attemps to mount are met with
   mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

So I seem to have configured a one-time connection.  Not quite what I
intended.  Any ideas?

TIA

--
richard