Re: Stripped down versions of software

[20030825] Piers Kittel <edinfo-list@biased.org> wrote:

> I'm installing debian on a 486 laptop, and want to use it for X, IRC, www and
> email, so which window manager is best to use for the 100MHz laptop with 20mb
> RAM, and which IRC, WWW and email clients would also be good to use here?

For a wm I'd suggest fluxbox or windowmaker. For WWW links-ssl
(console) or dillo for X. For irc I use irssi and for
icq/jabber/msn, centericq. Both are console-based & thus good
for old hardware.
For e-mail I use mutt (w/ abook for an addressbook) even on my
desktop boxes, lightweight & *really* powerful. For an X-based
client you should stick to sylpheed.

--
Manolis Tzanidakis
(mtzanidakis-at-freemail-dot-gr)