Re: Perl5.8 installed; Apt preconfigures, but fails to install.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:52:32PM +1200, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> Hi, thanks for trying to help.

I'd much rather help on the mailing list than in my inbox, though. :)
The latter is 2100 messages large and growing, and keeping it under
control is a daily effort ...

> I kept reading the apt error messages and trying to fix them. I moved a
> number of Perl files and directories to where Apt wanted them but it
> kept preconfiguring pkgs but
> "Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"

That's a summary of previous errors. What comes before it?

> *** I am ready to continue the process of correcting apt's error
> messages
> but they now flash by too quickly to be legible and there is no way I'm
> aware of, in the absence of a WM in console mode, of scrolling back and
> reading in detail.

Shift-PgUp?

> Can they be viewed in a file somewhere?

You can run apt-get inside a 'script' session to capture a transcript.

> I tried to run perl <version> -V
>
> Tux:/usr/local/bin perl perl5.8.0 -V

You don't do it like that - just '/usr/local/bin/perl -V',
'/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.0 -V', etc.

Cheers,