minimal boot loader?

hello,

I have been reading through a bunch of howto's on creating floppy based linux
systems.  The process of creating the floppy images strikes me as being way
too complicated.

In short, is there a program which behaves like this?

mkbootdisk --append="<kernel boot parameters>" kernel.img rootfs.img

I haven't been able to find anything which takes a kernel image, a root
filesystem image, and a boot paramter string, and creates a 1 or 2 floppy
set, all in one command.

This seems like it would be such a nice thing to have, I just can't beleive no
one has done this yet, so I though I'd ask here before I go off and write a
script which accomplishes the same thing.

thanks,
jason pepas