Re: apt-proxy cache limit

Tom - I hope you don't mind me posting your reply back to the list.

[ and then of course I forget to send it to the list anyway. Sorry Tom.
Hopefully forwarding it from my Sent folder works ...]

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:53:35AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> Richard Hector wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I've read that a MAX_CACHE_SIZE is on a TODO list, but not implemented yet
> >(though perhaps that has changed; I can't get to the apt-proxy list
> >archives
> >at the moment).
> >
> >In the absence of that, how will apt-proxy react if I put it on its own
> >filesystem and consequently it simply runs out of space?
> >
> Same way anything will react.
> It will stop running and throw and error.

OK. I was hoping it might then and only then start throwing away infreqently
accessed files, or whatever is appropriate.

> Do you know why/how it gets so big?  Can you do anything about it?

It's about to get big, because I'm going to use jigdo to suck the first 3 CDs
through it :-)

> I'm asking because maybe you can put in a crontab entry to periodically
> check or report the size of that partition/directory using du or df and
> mailing the results to you.

Given my current plan, I think it's all going to happen a bit quick for a
cron job to be much use.

I guess what I really want in this case is to use whatever's there, but
somehow get it not to bother caching anything that isn't there already;
it's obviously stuff I don't use much.

In particular, it would be handy if it _didn't_ throw away all the security
stuff simply because it isn't on the CDs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard