[Fwd: Re: Debian install fails on Intel P4C800 w/ WD800J drive (but Redhat 9 is ok)]

Thanks, Bob!  That's exactly what I needed.

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 22:14, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Murray J. Brown wrote:
> I've tried to install both Woody 3.0r1 & Sarge (2003-07-27) from an
>
> It is not clear to me which kernel you are installing by this
> description.  For the woody install which kernel did you select?  If
> you just hit 'enter' then you got the 2.2 kernel.  If you said bf24
> then you got the 2.4 kernel.  I have seen the 2.2 kernel hang when the
> 2.4 kernel would install properly.

Geez! <sheepish grin>  I had forgotten that there were other pre-built
kernels to select from.  bf24 wasn't available on the Sarge distro I
have but it worked just fine with Woody, which otherwise defaults to
2.2.18.

> > ATAPI CDROM (40x/AKU) onto a PC with a new Intel P4C800 Deluxe
> > motherboard, a 200GB WD Serial ATA drive and a 80GB (WD800JB-00ETA0)
> > drive, but the install process just hangs while probing (or simply
> > I thought it might be the S-ATA support, so I disconnected that drive
> > but the probing still consistently fails at the 33.3% mark while trying
> > to detect the remaining IDE drives, even after trying various
> > permutations of BIOS settings.
>
> Disconnecting the drive won't disable the controller.  Possibly
> disabling the controller in the BIOS would get past this problem.

Did both.  I can get past this, thanks to the solution above, but I now
get copious "unexpected interrupt" messages. Hopefully, they'll
disappear once I build a custom kernel.

> > Redhat 9 installs cleanly so I know the hardware works. However, I'd
> > rather use Debian for consistency across all my systems (now that I've
> > eradicated Windoze).
>
> Obviously most of us on this list would agree with you.  :-)
>
> > Suggestions anyone?  Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Another suggested doing installing KNOPPIX on the hard drive.  I
> really like KNOPPIX as a good use of technology.  But I have tested
> installing older versions to a hard drive and then trying to upgrade
> them to newer versions of software.  It can be a can of worms at that
> time.  I can't recommend it unless you are already an expert.  As the
> saying goes if you have to ask then you are not one.  Note that this
> is not something that Klaus Knopper tried to create when he created
> KNOPPIX.  He created the image for himself and released it to others
> because it is really sweet.  But getting an image fully up to date can
> be tricky.

I'll have to look more closely at this just in case some similar
situation arises sometime in the future.  I was hoping for a simpler
solution to try first -- and got it. Thanks to both you and Roberto
Sanchez for suggesting this approach;

> Instead let me suggest something else entire.  This is also a little
> complicated.  So don't feel obgligated if this does not work out.  But
> I would use knoppix to boot a system off of the cdrom and then use
> rsync to copy an existing system which is up to date and has the
> latest kernel onto your hard drive.  I suggest this since it sounds
> like you have several machines at your disposal.
>
> Partition the drive, run mkswap on the swap partition, run mkfs on the
> filesystem, copy the system onto the drive, customize the
> /etc/modules, /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname, /etc/fstab, etc., run lilo
> (or grub) and then boot the system.  I find this an easy way to create
> new systems by cloning other ones.  I can furnish a complete list of
> files to customize if you need one but I think you get the idea.  The
> raw copy of the system onto a new machine takes about six minutes on
> my machines, usually much faster than installing the data as
> packages.  But then you spend another 15 minutes editing files to
> change the system over to its new personality.

Now this is what I had expected I may need to do but, as above, I was
hoping for something more trivial to implement. ;-)

> That assumes that your only real problem is that you need a newer
> kernel than what exists on your installation media.  If you need
> something else than this won't work either.

Yes, in light of the fact that Redhat 9 installed just fine, this is
what Occam's razor suggested to me, too.  :-)

> Bob

Thanks again! ...Murray