Re: money/quicken/?

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 02:33, Paul Johnson wrote:
--snip--
>  Gnucash can track finances in multiple accounts, keeping running
>  and reconciled balances. It has an X based graphical user interface,
>  double entry, a hierarchy of accounts, expense accounts (categories),
>  and can import Quicken QIF files.

GNUCash is a GREAT program. The only possible drawback is if you're not
familiar with double-entry accounting. In the event that you're not, I
did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.ncsysadmin.org/july2001/ncsa-gnucash-talk.html

It's in-depth and specifically geared towards gnucash and double-entry
accounting within gnucash. If you don't care to get that into depth with
double-entry, here's all you really need to know to use gnucash. Other
money management programs (e.g. Money, Quicken, etc) assign a category
to each entry you make. In gnucash, you do the same. The only difference
is that every "category" is actually a separate account. If you want,
you can always look at any individual account (say, Expenses:Auto), or
you can just ignore them and only really worry about your checking and
savings accounts.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837