Re: Problem with video card when installing debian Gnu/Linux.

Johansson Mikael (mj) wrote:

Hello Mark.
Thank you for responding.
I have run lspci as root and found that my video-card is
described as an unknown device. The dpkg-reconfigure gives
an error message saying that something is not installed.
I think its time for Unstable/sid. When trying to download
this version of Debian-Linux I cant find the usual i386. What version of the Unstable/sid should I use for my
AMD processor or can I use sarge?

If your current stable box has networking capability, just change the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list to "unstable" instead of "stable" (assuming they're already configured to pull from the net instead of from CD, etc) (also, don't change the "security" line). Then just run "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". Sit back, and in a little while, you're likely to have a working X session.

You might also want to upgrade your kernel, assuming you currently have 2.2.20 ("uname -a" will report the kernel version). If so, you can run "apt-cache search kernel-image" to find all the different versions of kernels available, then install one with a command like "sudo apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20-686" for the Pentium 3 version. You'll also want to add the line "initrd=/initrd.img" to the "linux" stanza in "/etc/lilo.conf" if the upgrade procedure prompts you to do so.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)