Re: [despammed] Re: How to reduce sid security

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 22:04, Eddie J Schwartz wrote:
>  On Thursday 21 August 2003 02:20 pm, tbmoore@bealenet.com (Boyd Moore) (Boyd
> Moore) wrote:
> > I will try to explain again.  This is not an urgent problem, but it is
> > highly irritating.
> >
> > I have an older PC running Debian Stable (Woody, 2.2.20).  My new PC
> > is running Debian Unstable (Sid, 2.4.18-bf2.4).  I am using the latter
> > for development, and my wife uses it for her e-mail, e-bay, etc.
> >
> > Both machines are connected through a Linksys router/firewall to DSL,
> > and the Linksys is in its default mode which lets nothing through
> > (except returning packets, etc), doesn't answer pings, etc.
> >
> > I would like for these two Linux systems to completely trust each
> > other so I can run remote X (XDMCP), using the KDE3 service on the
> > faster, more up-to-date PC, for my window manager on the older PC.
> > You cannot do this through ssh as far as I can tell, and it would
> > create quite a bit of overhead even if you could.

If I read this right, both your machines are on the "inside" of the
router, and are using private IP addresses like "192.168.2.xx" or such.

You might put each in the other's /etc/hosts file like this:

192.168.2.22	otherMachine
(note: I made the IP up, check what your router assigns)

Then they don't have to go out through the router to find each other,
and you don't have to worry about the router blocking the ports.  All
traffic runs on your "internal" network, and the Internet and your ISP
never figure in.

My Belkin gateway/router has a provision for mapping an external port to
an internal machine/port.  That's another avenue to consider.

Cheers,
Bret

--
bwaldow at alum dot mit dot edu