bash won't read in ~/.bashrc

I have a machine running Debian Woody.  I made some changes to my ~/.bashrc
file, but the changes aren't taking.  The changes I made to root's ~/.bashrc
work like a champ, but not for my regular user account.  I can access the
server via SSH, and basically, it works for root (whether I ssh in directly or
first as a regular user and then su -).  For my regular user it only works
when I execute 'bash' again at the bash prompt.  Otherwise, nothing.  Why is
this?

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es