icewm menu questions

For stable, in the icewm package, does the /etc/X11/icewm/programs file come
out-of-the-box filled with KDE apps loaded in, or is the programs file built
during installation from programs it finds available?  I was using KDE and
then loaded icewm.  I found that the icewm menu offers access to all the
K-apps.

Later on, I loaded OpenOffice.  Much to my surprise I found the icewm menus
were modified for all the OpenOffice apps.  It's mind-boggling to me that the
OpenOffice folks would recognized the lesser-known icewm and correctly manage
the menu configuration.  But wait, could this be the Debian package
maintainer adding this bit of magic (http://openoffice.debian.net/)?

In contrast to the experiences described above is what happened when I loaded
Mozilla-Firebird from the upstream source.  No Mozilla entries were added to
the icewm menu. I manually changed the icewm configuration in my user account
disk space to launch Mozilla from the menu.

So a pattern emerges (albiet sparse) suggesting that the app Debian Package
maintainer is responsible for hooking all the Debian supported window
managers and desktops for their supported package.  Conversely, wm/desktop
maintainers are responsible for dynamically building a menu that hooks all
the currently installed apps on the machine. Is this how things work in
Debian?  No small task if it is.
--
Mike Mueller
Registration No. 324881 (08/20/2003)