Re: postfix + mutt questions

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:49:33PM +0300, Manolis Tzanidakis wrote:
> [20030822] Mihalis I. Tsoukalos <mtsouk@freemail.gr> wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
>
> Hello Mihali
>
> > I have a .alias file in my home directory with entries having the
> > following form:
> >
> > debian          debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > debian-kde      debian-kde@lists.debian.org
> >
> > I want to use it with mutt so I have added the following line in
> > .muttrc:
> > set alias_file="~/.alias"
> >
> > What else do I have to do in order to use it?
>
> Add the following entry in your .muttrc :
> source ~/.alias
>
> after the set alias_file one.
>
> > Second problem:
> > The emails to root go to user nobody.
> > I am using postfix and /etc/aliases has no such entry.
> > How can I fix it?
>
> Edit /etc/aliases and add the line :
> root:   THE_USER_THAT_SHOULD_GET_ROOT_MAIL
>
> Make sure your /etc/postfix/main.cf has the following :
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
>
> then run :
>
> $ newaliases && postfix reload
>
> (this should create /etc/aliases.db & restart postfix).

Hi Manoli.

The problem was that I have not put the word alias in front of each line
in the .alias file as well as I have not put the source .alias in .muttrc
It works fine now. Thanks.

So, in order to make user root get its email, should I put root: root in
the aliases file? Seems a little bizzare :-)
I have found the postalias command that might help creating the aliases.db
file.

TIA,
Mihalis.

(Dennis Ritchie)