Re: bug in libc6

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:47:43AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> was heard to say:
> | If you need to continue running a old, old, commercial, proprietary app
> | that requires an old version of libc (or anything else, really), you can
> | install it into it's own little chroot containing whatever old libraries
> | you might need.  http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html explains
> | how.  It's also mentioned in the quick reference if people.d.o is still
> | down when you get this.
>
> Before I go off and do this, it occurs to me that running an X server
> in chroot might be problematic. Intuition suggests that if the X
> server is running chrooted, then all of the apps that are started by
> the server (and indirectly by the window manager, etc.) are going to
> be running in that chroot environment.

Remember that X is network-transparent.  You can run your X server on
one machine and your apps on another.  Or apps on a variety of other
ones.  So you can certainly run your apps in or out of the chroot,
whichever you prefer.  You can of course have programs running in the
chroot and those running without on the same X display.

Also, this will be no slower than X normally is, since X uses local Unix
domain sockets for communicating apps on the same machine, regardless of
how they run.

My suggested solution would be to run your system (and X) as per normal,
and to create a chroot and install whatever legacy apps you have in
there.  When you need to run them, chroot into your legacy system like
this: "sudo chroot /path/to/chroot /bin/sh" to move into it and run
bash.  You have to be root to use "chroot", so setting up sudo is a good
idea.  Your $DISPLAY variable should be fine, so just run the program
and it should all Just Work.  "dchroot" simplifies the logging in step,
too.

The only problem is that now all your files are outside the chroot.
There're a couple of solutions: if you use a 2.4 kernel, you can bind
mount parts of your main system into the chroot (you could even bind mount
your whole /home into it) or you can use NFS.

> Is my intuition mistaken?

I think so :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:      South Africa munitions morse counter intelligence Debian