PERL reinstall necessary after 'mv /usr/share /home' ?

Sorry, long story...

I attempted to solve a 100% full /usr partition by moving
the largest directories to an almost empty /home ...The directory /share
appeared to be successful but I may have ended it before /libs had
completed the process.

When I rebooted the X server would not work giving me the message
'[EE] xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
    No such device'
... yet a glance at /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 showed it was there.

I also had a message
'Warning: bad format of line 11 of fstab'
The numeral '0' was a space out, but after fixing that I continued
getting
the error message.

I also noted
"Root fs not mounted"
" ...findacm: no such file or directory"
"Not starting X display manager (XDM); it is not the default display
manager"

I found it hard to read the bootlog file as it flashed by so quickly.

Q: where can I access it in the file structure ?

However, console mode was functional and I found I could use Mutt to
receive mail, although I have not received answers to outgoing
messages(?)

on trying

'apt-get install -u -f dist-upgrade --fix-missing'

downloaded packages would not install with

'E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)' message.

In my experience, that meant inadequate apt cache so I kept boosting it

'APT::Cache-limit "400000000";

... presumably 400Mb, with no change in the situation.

Closer inspection of the error messages which flashed by so quickly it
was
hard to read them [how can they be read stably ?] gave me

"BEGIN failed -- compilation aborted.
Debconf: Perl may be unconfigured. Can't locate strict.pm in @INC
(@INC contains /etc/perl/usr/local/..... /var/run/xdm.pid not found"

Googling by "Can't locate strict.pm in @INC" I found people being
advised
to reinstall Perl. I know there is a 'perl' pkg in Debian unstable but
installing it as a .deb runs into the problem above.

Alternatively, advice from www.cpan.com is to go the
Decompress-Unpack-Build-Install tarball route.

Before I launch into this I'd like to know if this is likely to fix the
problem, or if some other approach is preferred. The system ('apt-get
update') appears to be functioning in console mode, although I chose to
write this from the XP drive to make sure it got through - apologies to
the purists.

Currently, trying

Tux:~# apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade --fix-broken

Gives me

78 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove & 1 not upgraded
5 packages not fully installed or removed
Need to get 0B/71.3MB of archives
After unpacking 2170kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you wish to continue ? [Y/n]

I'm perplexed about the 5 pkgs not installed or removed. They include
'Openoffice_debian_files' which may be the cause of the initial cache
overload, if that is what it was.

I'd be grateful for any constructive advice.

Adam Bogacki
afb@paradise.net.nz