Re: explanation of the noise (was Re: Norton AntiVirus detected and quarantined a virus in a message you sent.)

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 15:51, moseley@hank.org wrote:
> A very old and worn out discussion is: why not make the lists subscriber
> only?
>
> Is there another reason other than too much traffic?
>
> As for too much traffic, what I have done is subscribe, post requesting
> to get a Cc: and then unsubscribe when I see my post come back.  Seems a
> minor inconvenience for getting free and high quality (in most cases ;)
> support.

That'd be too much of a hassle to people who already have problems with their
configuration I'd think. Personally, I hate subscribing to a list just for
one question (sourceforge, I'm talking to YOU! :-P)

Why not mark non-subscriber messages with a special header? (X-OffList?) That
way, the "I won't CC anyone" zealots could get rid of their plight and the
respective messages could be handled with a larger grain of salt than the
rest.

> With the amount of spam going around these days I think open
> lists are not very responsible -- why provide (in effect) an open relay?

Ironically, the spam filter on this list (server) seems pretty efficient as
could be seen some time ago when there was a misconfirguration that let the
spam through. It's the subscribers' ISPs that have become a major PITA during
the last 24 hours. Maybe we should _all_ send a complaint for _every_ stupid
virus report back to the respective admins.

--
Got Backup?