keeping partitions mounted read-only

Hi!

Usually, I´m keeping partitions that can be mounted read-only, mounted that way. Especially the /usr partition is mounted ro.

To install security-updates (or new packages), I remount /usr by issueing a ´mount /usr -o remount,rw´ so that the new software can be installed. After installation is finished, I remount the partition read-only by ´mount /usr -o remount,ro´.

But more or less frequently, the request to remount the partition read-only fails with a message like ´mount: /usr is busy´. This is utterly annoying as I haven´t found any other way than rebooting in order to get the partition mounted read-only again.

For example, I just installed the security upgrade of the man-db package on our mail server, and now I´m unable to remount the /usr partition read-only again. The mail server is use and I cannt reboot it now ... Another server is up for 271 days now, but the /usr partition is still mounted writeable since 200 days or so because of some software update, and an occassion to reboot it is not in sight.

Is there any way to do the remounting without a reboot?

GH