Re: can't ping LAN machine, NET pings fine

-----------------------
 "Antony Gelberg" <antony@antgel.co.uk> wrote:
------------------------

>Benedict Verheyen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i have a Debian (testing) machine as a firewall (named arthur) with 2
>> nics, eth0 that is connected to the internet and gets an ip of the ISP
>> via DHCP and eth1 which serves ip's for the lan and has ip
>> 192.168.0.1. Currently there is only 1 other pc (named lancelot)
>> besides the firewall machine in the network. It gets ip 192.168.0.10
>> from the DHCP server on the firewall.
>>
>> WORKS:
>> ping from firewall to net
>> ping from lan to net
>> surfing net from lan
>>
>> DOESN'T WORK:
>> ping from firewall to lan
>> ping from lan to firewall
>>
>> I have disabled the iptables firewall on the firewall machine to be
>> sure that this isn't it. Result is the same.
>
>Can you post iptables -L just after a ping fails?

If will do that this afternoon as i'm not behind my box.
But when i tested, i switched off iptables and allowed everything
basically:
 iptables -F
 iptables -X
 iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
 iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
 iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

My firewall has been up all night so i checked the interfaces
and i saw this:
  eth0, RX (9.7 MB), TX (819KB)
  eth1, RX (810KB), TX (4.4MB)
This looks fairly normal.
And i could send email from my lan also.

I did switch the network devices before. Could this have caused
the problem? I don't think so because i can surf the net from
the lan.

Benedict