Mach64 framebuffer on a 2.2.25 kernel

Hi!

I have an old Pentium 90 that I use as a router/etc machine between my intranet and the cable tv network. It has an integrated Mach64 graphics card, on which I am trying to run a framebuffer. I am using a 2.2.25 kernel, mostly because 2.2 has worked great so far, and 2.4 is bigger (it only has 32 Mbyte of RAM).

Anyway, I can get the Mach64 framebuffer to start, but only in 640×480 mode. I want to use 800×600 so that I get 100×40 columns (although 80×30 is better than 80×25). However, I cannot get the driver to respond to my configuration attempts. I've tried adding both
 vga=0x303
and
 append="video=atyfb:mode:800x600-8@70"
without any success.

The VESA fb driver does not work on the machine.

I tried googling for any info, but the only thing I found was I question I wrote in 1999 about the other Mach64 card I have (for which the VESA fb *does* work).

According to the framebuffer driver, I have this card:
mach64CT (ATI264CT) [0x4354 rev 0x00] 1M DRAM, 14.31818 MHz XTAL, 135 MHz PLL, 60 Mhz MCLK

Any help would be appreciated.
--
\\//
Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

 I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.