Re: serial ATA

Mark Barnes wrote:

I'm trying to install stable on a system with an Asus A7V600
motherboard, which supports serial ATA with a VIA VT8237 chipset.
I've googled around for installation information on serial ATA support
generally, and not found much that's on point.  I'm not sure if serial
ATA is supported directly via the kernel, whether a kernel patch is
needed, or how this all plays out in the kernels available with Debian
stable.  One option I've considered is installing stable by way of an
IDE hard drive, and then somehow piggy-backing the system onto the
serial ATA drive; but I really don't have much of an idea about how
this might work, or whether it's really doable with stable.  I'd be
mighty grateful for any help along these lines.  I'm newly subscribed
to his mailing list, so forgive me if this topic has already been
covered ad nauseum.

I have no direct experience, but reciently read an article that said serial ATA looks the same as IDE, its all done in the hardware. So no special support should be needed.

Good Luck
Dave