Re: Linux defragmenter?

http://www.suse.co.il/sdb/en/html/ext2frag.html
The last sentence from this article pretty much says it all:
"Defragmentation is a waste of time"

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-partitiontip.html
I also got this quote from IBM developer works:
"OK, you may ask, what's the big deal? After all, ext2 filesystems take
a long time to exhibit signs of fragmentation. However, I would argue
that fragmentation is still a big problem, because although ext2 does
not get fragmented easily, fragmentation is a one-way, cumulative
process. That is, while ext2 fragments slowly, it cannot defragment
itself. In other words, any often-modified ext2 filesystem will
gradually get more and more fragmented, and thus slower. Even worse,
there are no production-quality ext2 filesystem defragmenting programs
currently available. This means that fragmentation is guaranteed to get
worse over time, and the only way to fix it is to wipe the filesystem
clean, and restore all the original files from a backup. That's a pretty
involved and time-consuming process."

-Jason