Re: snort on router - risks?

Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

Quoting Marcus Schopen <lists@localguru.de>:

Hi,

on my DSL-router (masqurading) at home I'd like to install snort to see who attacks me from the internet side. I know that one should install snort on a seperate hosts before and behind the firewall to get the best results, but this is just my little "home net" and I don't want to set up further linuxboxes.

So my question: what are the risks to set up snort on the gateway-router instead of using a seperate snort host? Is that insecure? And why?

Marcus,
  Snort is a program just like any other that listens to a network
connection, it can be compromised.  AFAIK, the worst that has happened
recently is that a flaw allowed an attacker to disable Snort.  I
consider running Snort to be better than not running it.  For another
possible approach, see an article I wrote:

ahhh, thanks :-))

A user on the german list wrote, that it's dangerous to run snort with promiscous mode on ppp0. But he didn't explained why? Any ideas?

cheers,
Marcus