Re: lost in a sea of iptables docs

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:

> I want to get iptables running on my laptop.  I'm behind a
> gateway/router now, but I'll be on the road in a few weeks.
>
> I see lots of docs about what rules to write for doing this, stopping
> that, etc.
>
> Where do I put them?
>
> How do I start an iptable firewall when my system starts?  What file
> where holds all those keen rules all the docs are giving me recipes for?

Why not just run nmap -v against yourself and make sure that any ports
that are open on the outgoing interface are justifiable?

If you do it properly, you should have the same order of magnitude
of protection (assuming that the firewall will be on the same machine
that is seeing general use).

~ Jesse Meyer

( I can't wait to see what replies I get to this. )

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night