latex stoped handling tif images?

I am using lyx to create some latex documents. When embedding images in
lyx everything seems to work fine, but since some point in the upgrades
I can no longer create the output from the exported tex file.
I get various error messages from pdfelatex and elatex.
At first I downgraded and it solved the problem, but I forgot about it
later, upgraded the latex packages and now I don't know what version
will work, if it still exists.
Anyone know what changed and how to reverse it?
I am using debian unstable.

The various error lines:
>From elatex:
------------
! LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in
   .../blackboard_i0.tif (no BoundingBox).

<.../blackboard_flattened.tif>! Unable to read an entire
line---bufsize=200000.
Please increase buf_size in texmf.cnf.

>From pdfelatex:
! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps

Error: pdfelatex (file .../blackboard_i0.tif): unknown type of image

As For the bufsize, I tried to increase it to 2000000 (times 10) and
then got an error about bufsize=300000 (not exactly the size I entered).