Re: dualboot

claus larsen declaimed:
> hello.
>
> I have 2 computers with windows XP and redhat, booted with grub.
> I want to install debian on both machines, booted with the existing grub.
> How do i do that?

1. Figure out where your Debian installation will live, you need at
least one dedicated partition.
3. Decide which partitions you'll use for both Debian and Red Hat. Likely
candidates include the swap partition, tmp, home, and /usr/local.
2. Figure out the Linux name [/dev/hda8] and the Grub name [(hd0,7)] for
these partitions.
4. Prepare the partitions.
5. Install Debian using the previously identified & prepared partitions,
but DON'T let it install LILO. Make a floppy boot if you feel like it.
6. Duplicate the section of your Grub menu that boots Red Hat, change
the label & partition numbers as appropriate.
7. Use Grub to install the modified menu.

Oh yes, you'll want to practice booting from a Grub floppy and getting
the desired system to boot. Do this first of all.

Good luck,

PM
--
Paul Mackinney