FIXED: Re: 'Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.'

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 04:27:49PM +0100, Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Network uses nis for logins.  Since last night,
> logins are no longer possible, although password
> changes can still be done(!) using yppasswd.
>
> Attempting to login on a non-yp-server machine
> results in 'Login incorrect' at the prompt.
> Attempting to use passwd at the root prompt
> on a non-yp-server machine gets you
>
> 	'Authentication service cannot
> 	retrieve authentication info.'
>

> Which I suspect is a pam error.  The only
> change I'm aware of which took place overnight
> was an apt- upgrade which upgraded perl from
> the security archive.  I've downgraded perl
> but it's made no difference.

Found the answer in the newsgroups - here it is
in case anyone else needs it.

The 'compat' option no longer works, you need

	passwd:         files nis
	group:          files nis
	shadow:         files nis

In your nsswitch.conf instead.