Re: Clipboard is bent

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 00:28, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:16:29PM +1200, cr wrote:
> > Not sure if I should be asking on this list or a Gnome list,
> > but can anyone tell me where to start investigating my clipboard?
> > (I'm running Woody, and Gnome 1.4.)
>
> I was really annoyed by the default X copy/paste settings in KDE as
> well.  My problems were fixed by configuring Klipper, the KDE clipboard
> manager.  Right-click on the clipboad icon oon your KDE panel and select
> "Configure Klipper".  My annoyances were fixed by setting the
> "Synchronize contents of the clipboard and the selection" option.  That
> option seems to make copy/paste consistant across different GUI
> toolkits, while the alternative seems to make a distinction between
> normal X "copy on select" clipboard behavior and KDE explicit
> "Edit menu->copy" behavior.
>
> I'm not sure if this option is the root of your problems, too, but it
> sounds like it could be.  It certainly resulted in inconsistant
> clipboard behavior for me.  Or rather, I guess it was *consistant* but
> certainly not consistant with the way X behaves normally.
>
> HTH,
> noah

Sorry for the loooong delay in replying, Real Life (TM) got in the way, and
also, I must be running a different version of Klipper.
I'm running Gnome, not KDE, so I don't have a KDE panel, nor can I find
Klipper in a menu.   Typing 'klipper' in a terminal window causes Klipper to
appear on the Gnoome panel, left-clicking that gives me a little Klipper icon
on the desktop, right-clicking that brings up a box with 'Actions enabled'
and 'Preferences', but none of them seem to have an entry such as
'synchronise contents....'

It seems that Klipper is in fact *reading* anything copied in a KDE or a
Gnome editor, because it shows them in its list of items.   KDE will then
read it, but Gnome apps (and Opera) won't read it.   OTOH, Gnome apps and
Opera will read each other's copy.

cr