Re: rms on debian

On Sunday 17 August 2003 18:38, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=260
> >
> > [ SNIP ]
> >
> >  RMS: When I recommend a GNU/Linux distribution, I choose based on
> > ethical considerations. Today I would recommend GNU/LinEx, the
> > distribution prepared by the government of Extremadura, because that's
> > the only installable distribution that consists entirely of free
> > software. If I knew of more than one such distribution, I would choose
> > between them based on practical considerations.
> >
> > [ SNIP ]
> >
> > So now that Debian is 10, RMS changes to another distro? What's up?
>
> We criticize our politicians for having no backbone.
> We criticize RMS for sticking to his principles.
>
> ~ Jesse Meyer

Well said.   I have enormous respect for RMS, and I think every movement
needs someone with principles like that to 'keep them honest'.

Having said that, I think in this particular case, I'd put pragmatism ahead
of principles and be more concerned to recommend a distro that was *easy* to
use and least likely to send the new user back to what he's familiar with -
W*ndoze.    (And dare I say it, that wouldn't be Debian either.  Maybe (from
what I've heard) knoppix.  :)

Of course, LinEx might actually be very user-friendly, but that wasn't RMS's
reason for recommending it.

cr