gpilotd / gnome-pilot issues

Ok, I just started breaking...er uh I mean...working on things with
Linux again and it seems every time I get the time to do this something
doesn't want to behave...so, here it is. (and yes I have tried
debian-pilot with this)

I have my palm connected via usb, and I have all the kernel stuff, and
pilot-link installed.  I can sync with Jpilot, no problem.  But what I
really need is to be able to sync with gnome-pilot.  For some reason
whenever I try to run gnome-pilot, the settings wizard thing pops up, I
set everything to USB and have tried /dev/pilot and /dev/ttyUSB1 but
nothing syncs when it goes to the initial sync page.  As a matter of
fact, I am now getting
Application "gpilotd" (process 572) has crashed
due to a fatal error.
(Segmentation fault)
whever I try. I end up with this if I run gpilotd from the command
prompt.
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.10 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.11.7
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]

(gpilotd:651): gpilotd-WARNING **: Number of devices is configured to 0

(gpilotd:651): gpilotd-WARNING **: No accessible devices available

(gpilotd:651): gpilotd-WARNING **: Number of pilots is configured to 0
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: bonobo_activation_active_server_register = 2
gpilotd-Message: Cannot register gpilotd because already active
which leaves me at a loss because I have no idea what needs to be done
to rememdy this sync problem, since I really need to be using
gnome-pilot to sync with evolution (and months ago last time I tried it
worked) I don't want to give up and just use Jpilot

Thanks,
Jason