Re: wireless recommendations

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:31:08AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * nori heikkinen (nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu) [030815 07:52]:

<snip>

> > any particular suggestions / references / aversions?
>
> For the laptop, I'm happy with my linksys wpc11.  You might also
> consider cisco aironet cards.  They're more expensive, but I have
> colleagues who swear by them.  As for the linksys, I like it enough I
> just bought another one (to replace that #@$&^$%#%^$# 3com)

If you are considering the linksys WPC11, i'd advise you to check the
version number before you buy.

i have the latest version (ver. 4) and it has a realtek 8180L chip
instead of the earlier prism based ones. the driver for the realtek
chip is partly closed source and its performance is, shall we say,
iffy.

i have it working in my home network but i'm unable to get it working
at work.

sridhar