Re: mail group/exim starting difficulties

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:06:48PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 jbmaxson@surfglobal.net wrote:
> > At some point in the past, the "mail" entry in my /etc/group file was
> > deleted.  Since then I've had some issues, as you could guess...the
> > big one being that I can't start exim...I get:
> >
> > Starting MTA: 2003-08-14 22:33:50 Exim configuration error
> >   group mail, referred to in line 216, was not found
> >
> > However, I have manually gone in and added it, as seen here (list
> > continues for a bit). It doesn't seem to "take":
> >
> > chewie:/home/jbmaxson# cat /etc/group
> > mail:*:100:jbmaxson,root
> > root:*:0:root
> > games:x:102:
> > pppusers:*:103:jbmaxson
> > exim:*:104:jbmaxson

Interesting.  If I comment out the line 216 as below, everything is
hunkydory.  Do I need to leave that "group = mail" line in there?
Mostlikely, but what negative things come of it?

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
# Jeff tries to remove this
# group = mail